Youth Service Bureau
The YSB has the duty and responsibility to perform both administrative and direct service functions in accordance with state regulations that respond to the needs of youth who are or potentially could be in contact with the criminal justice system; youth without the support or protective environment necessary for normal development; youth who manifest behavior which is potentially detrimental to themselves; and the primary prevention needs in the community.
It is an agency of seven volunteers appointed by the Board of Selectmen that is designed for planning, evaluation, coordination, and implementation of a network of resources and opportunities for children, youth, and their families. The CYSB serves as the town’s Drug and Alcohol Council (aka the Community of Concern).
What do we do? Here are a few examples of programs and services we fund and support:
- Confidential individual and family counseling for youth and their families;
- McCall Foundation at CHS – Substance abuse education; support groups for students dealing with substance abuse concerns;
- “The Cave” Teen Center – Open every Friday night for high school students from 7 pm to 10 pm; “The Cave” will celebrate its 6 year anniversary this October!
- Substance Free Graduation Party;
- Internet Safety Education;
- Teen Safe Driving Program;
- Drums for Unity Program for middle school students;
- Drug Give Back Program;
- Kick off funding for the PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Support) program through the Canton school system: CHS “The Warrior Way” and CMS “The CMS Way.”
Read more about our activities by viewing the Agendas, Minutes & Meeting Schedule
For volunteer opportunities or for more information about any of our programs and services, please VISIT THE CYSB WEBSITE.
If you’d like to make a donation to support the CYSB, checks can be made out to "Canton YSB" and mailed to the following address:
PO Box 168
4 Market Place
Collinsville, CT 06022