Skip to content

Zoning Board of Appeals

Town of Canton >> Boards and Commissions >> Real Estate & Economics >> Zoning Board of Appeals >> Zoning Board of Appeals

Zoning Board of Appeals

Judging public health and safety and the maintenance of property values, the Zoning Board of Appeals decides cases involving zoning disputes and variances, appeals to the decision of the Zoning Enforcement Officer and licensing of motor vehicle establishments.


If you are subject to an official order or decision by the Town Zoning Enforcement Officer, you may file an appeal of his/her decision to the ZBA. Appropriate notices must also be filed in order to process the Application.

  • Zoning Board of Appeals Application (provided below)
  • Standard Zoning Enforcement Procedures (provided below)


If your proposal does not meet the requirements of the Zoning Regulations (i.e., locates a building within a required setback or the application of the regulation results in an exceptional difficulty unique to this particular lot) you request a variance from such regulation from the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA). Any necessary variances must be applied for and approved by the ZBA prior to applying for a for Site Plan, Special Permit or Subdivision approval. The ZBA is not allowed to grant a variance unless it is based on a statutorily supported hardship. This means the requested variance must be related to the land, can not be based solely on financial gain or loss, nor can it be the regulation itself. A public hearing is required for all variance applications. The ZBA has up to 65 days to hold a Public Hearing.

Once the Public Hearing is open, it must close within 35 days. Once the Public Hearing is closed, the ZBA must make a decision within 65 days. Please contact the Zoning Enforcement Officer for additional information and to set up a meeting to discuss any details. If your proposal involves land located 500 feet or closer to another town, State law requires that the proposal be referred to the abutting town seven days prior to the scheduled Public Hearing. You should contact the Zoning Enforcement Officer for information and to set up a meeting to discuss all the details. If the ZBA grants the variance, you will be required to file a certificate in the Town Clerk’s Office for it to become valid. Once the filing is done a subsequent application to the Planning and Zoning Commission may be submitted.

Agendas, Minutes, Meeting Dates, Legal Notices & Packets 
CT k-7 DMV Form (for Location Approval)
Hardship Guidelines (for Variance Request)
Standard Zoning Enforcement Procedures
ZBA Application
All Land Use Regulations


Contact Us

Neil Pade, AICP
Director of Planning and Community Development   
Phone: (860) 693-7891Phone: (860) 693-7891

Nathaniel Jarvie
Assistant Town Planner
Phone: (860) 693-7892

Lisa Ozaki
Community Development Coordinator
Phone: (860) 693-7856Phone: (860) 693-7856

Office Hours:

Monday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:15 a.m. - 6:45 p.m.
Thursday: 8:15 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.

Mailing Address: Canton Town Hall, P.O. Box 168, Collinsville, CT 06022

Location: Canton Town Hall, 4 Market Street, Collinsville, CT 06019 

NOTE: Contact your IT admin or "" if you would like to add a social media link.