Walter S. Case (1859-1941) took over the Canton Center General Store from George Lamphier in 1893 and became postmaster in 1898, a position he was to hold until 1940. He was born in Barkhamsted and married Susie Church in 1890. They were the parents of three sons and a daughter. He was an avid Republican in politics and a Mason. In his later years, he was a distinguished old fashioned-looking gentleman who wore glasses with round lenses and smoked a pipe. He died a couple days before he and his wife were to celebrate their fifty-first anniversary. After he retired, sons Gordon and Byron took over the store with the former as postmaster. Case’s funeral was held at his Canton Center home with the pastor of the Canton Center Congregational Church officiating.
Walter S. Case is buried in the Baptist Cemetery on Canton Springs Road, Canton.
“Your Silent Neighbors” introduces readers to people out of Canton’s past. Readers are encouraged to visit these gravesites and pay their respects to the people who have helped make our community what it is today.