Harriet Blair Flint (1851-1930) served as organist of the Collinsville Congregational Church for fifty-two years, having begun her tenure on the first Sunday of January 1875. For twenty years she also directed the church choir. Flint was the daughter of Eunice B. Blair and Charles Blair, a high level Collins Company executive who met with John Brown and arranged for the fabrication of pikes for the abolitionist. She lived in Collinsville her entire life at 6 The Green, the home in which she was born.
For many years, Flint gave private music lessons and was known for her charitable work among the poor. She belonged to the Home Missionary Society, the Ladies’ Aid of the church, and the D.A.R.’s Phoebe Humphrey Chapter. In 1925, Flint was given a surprise reception at the church in honor of fifty years of service. About ninety people attended the event, including former and then serving members of the choir. Harriet Flint is buried in the Village Cemetery, Collinsville.
“Your Silent Neighbors” introduces readers to people out of Canton’s past. Readers are encouraged to visit these gravesites and pay their respects to the people who have helped make our community what it is today.