Skip to content

Map Amendment

Town of Canton >> Business >> Development Guide >> >> Zoning Map Amendment >> Map Amendment

INSTRUCTIONS: FOR USE WITH "Single Column" PAGE TEMPLATE - Change the folder ID below to match the sub-folder you wish to use as sub-pages/sub-navigation. If having an internal navigation structure (related pages) doesn't make sense, just remove the "BLOCKNAV" token above for a generic page.


Zoning Map Amendment

If you want to develop a parcel of land that is not zoned for the use being proposed, you will need to request a Zoning Map Amendment. Please review the Official Zoning Map.

If your proposal involves an existing zoning district, or affects land, located 500 feet or closer to another municipality, a copy of the proposal must be referred to the regional planning agencies 35 days prior to the scheduled Public Hearing. (The Land Use Office will send these)

You should contact the Director of Planning and Community Development or Assistant Planner to review the details for preparing a Zoning Map Amendment, the requirements, application form, and required checklist.

The Planning and Zoning Commission upon receipt must schedule a public hearing within 65 days. The Map Amendment must also be reviewed for consistency with the proposed regulations with the Plan of Conservation and Development.

Zoning Map Amendments must be filed with the Town Clerk at least 10 days prior to the hearing.

Once opened, the Planning and Zoning Commission has 35 days to close the hearing and 65 days to render a decision.

When reviewing a regulation amendment, the Planning Zoning Commission is functioning in a legislative capacity. In doing so they retain a high level of discretion in whether or not to approve the Zoning Map Amendment.

The approved Zoning Map Amendment must be filed with the town clerk, and the official mp updated in order to become effective.

Appropriate Notices must also be filed in order to process the Application.

Zone or Map Amendment Application