Town Bridge over the Farmington River constructed by the Town of Canton in 1895 as a replacement of a covered wooden bridge at the same location. The bridge has entered its second century of service to the Town. It is quickly becoming one of a limited number of through truss bridges constructed in the late 1800s still in active vehicular use. The bridge is listed with the Historic American Engineering Record and the National Registry of Historic Places.
Part of the rehabilitation of the bridge includes the possibility of painting the structure. Painting the bridge would provide an additional layer of protection to the metal bridge components particularly in areas that may be exposed to abrasive wear, such as in the splash zone of snow plow activity.
Considering the historical significance of the bridge, the Board of Selectmen decided to get additional public input on the final bridge color. The Board narrowed the color choices down to five; charcoal, black, hunter green, current color (light grey) and galvanized. The metal on the bridge will be galvanized and then painted. Therefore, the galvanized option would be to remove the painting process and leave the bridge a silver color similar to a guardrail on the side of the road.
We appreciate your participation in the survey!